Tuesday 26 April 2016

Berryz Kobo x ℃-ute Cross Talk 23: Yajima Maimi x Sudo Maasa

To celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Hello! Project Kids in 2012, a book entitled Rival - 12 shoujo no 10-nen monogatari - (The 10-year legend of the 12 girls) was released. The book contains 2-page discussions between various pairings of the girls, covering all 66 possible combinations. In the process of reading this book, I'll be putting up some highlights as I read through the interviews.


Special Crosstalk Book "RIVAL 12 shoujyo no 10 nen monogatari (10 years stories of 12 girls)" / Berrz Kobo / Cute

Yajima Maimi X Sudo Maasa

╪╪╪

Besides your BeriKyuu activities, the 2 of you stand out as actors. Are you aware of one another in that field?

Sudo: I've managed to see almost all the productions that Maimi-chan has appeared in. It motivates me.

Yajima: I've seen all the productions that Maasa has appeared in as well. We've also appeared in plays and dramas together, but depending on the role, Maasa, you become a truly different Maasa, well, it's like you're no longer Maasa at all (laughs). Once you're acting, you completely discard things like being an idol. Like if you're playing a granny, you'd fully enter that role.

Sudo: In acting, the most enjoyable part is becoming a different person.

╪╪╪


Yajima: And now, I don't just enjoy acting, but I also enjoy watching dramas.

Sudo: Ah, I know what you mean! Watching someone play a part, you think, 'I'd do that in this way', and you'd want to try it out. At home, I often enjoy myself by repeating the lines in my own way (laughs). In addition to watching dramas, trying them out is another way to enjoy them, so it adds to the ways we can  enjoy them.

╪╪╪


You're of different types, but but in a good way, you're both aware of one another, so doesn't it feel like you're rivals? Looking at one another, could you tell us what's the greatest impression you have of one another?

Yajima: For a drama, Maasa was told by the director-san that she was to cry at a certain part, and the scene was being shot out of order, and yet, no matter how many times she had to cry, she was able to do so properly. At the time, I was impressed, she truly was an actress.

Sudo: During 'Sengoku Jieitai', Maimi-chan was really serious, and when there was a scene where it went to blows, and she really hit with a bam! But I remember it feeling good since we were doing it together.

╪╪╪


What do you feel about one another, personality-wise?

Yajima: Maasa's really level-headed, she like a mother who can properly bring people together, which is something that I lack.

╪╪╪


The 2 of you are good rivals at the moment, but did you have any sort of relationship between one another when you made your debut?

Yajima: When we were in the Hello! Project Kids, we didn't really have that many opportunities to talk.

Sudo: I was particularly shy, so I guess that I didn't really talk. What got us started really was acting. I found out that Maimi-chan had appeared in many plays, and she lent me DVDs, so we were able to talk about acting.

Yajima: Like 'Have you seen this movie?' But when we're doing plays together, we have good discussions about the play itself.

╪╪╪


Just like the other 10, the 2 of you have been constantly singing and dancing, from when you were the H!P Kids up to BeriKyuu, but were those experiences of use with acting?

Yajima: There are similarities in that we act out the protagonist in the song, so while it might not be on the forefront of our minds, I think that it's slightly useful even for acting.

Sudo: They're the same in that you're doing something in front of an audience, and you're granting dreams, but I think who I am when I'm at a concert and who I am when I'm acting are different. On the concert stage, I'm just Sudo Maasa, but on the play stage, I'm not Maasa, I'm the role that I'm playing. And while we have the same smile, the smile I have at concerts and the smile that I have at plays are completely different. However, whatever it is, the viewpoint has always been that I'm acting as Berryz Kobo's Sudo Maasa. But someday, I'd like my genuine acting to be highly regarded. Like people would say that there are roles played by Sudo Maasa which could have only been performed by Sudo Maasa.

╪╪╪


Sudo: I feel that it would be interesting if Maimi-chan played a delinquent role.

Yajima: Eh, really? 

Sudo: Yup. Since it's different from how you normally are. In my mind, Maimi-chan as a delinquent would be like a female gang leader of the past: wearing a long skirt, with bright red lipstick, holding a wooden sword, going 'Oi!'(laughs). I'd like you to do that.

Yajima: I feel that Maasa would suit a wooden sword and long skirt as well (laughs).



╪╪╪

No comments:

Post a Comment